Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #60 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position summary: JMT is seeking a Traffic Project Engineer to join the Syracuse, New York office. The Project Engineer is responsible for leading and supporting transportation design and analysis projects Responsible for engineering design, traffic operations and analysis using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute, and coordinate assignments with limited supervision. Acts as a technical advisor to less experienced engineers.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope
- Perform traffic engineering design including signing and pavement marking, signals, lighting, maintenance of traffic, detours and traffic control and intelligent transportation systems (ITS).
- Work with Project Manager to prepare and compile contract plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E)
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools
- Perform traffic safety and traffic analysis studies based on the Highway Capacity Manual and software tools (Synchro, HCS, and/or VISSIM).
- Perform alternative studies, multimodal studies including pedestrian and bicycles.
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Writing technical reports
- Assist with field work as needed, including data collection and review of traffic operations
- Assist with preparing proposals as required
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field from an ABET accredited engineering program
- 5-10 years’ experience
- Active motor vehicle driver’s license
- Experience working with CADD software (Bentley preferred)
- Traffic engineering modeling software (Synchro, HCS, Vissim, Visual, AGI32)
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in New York State or demonstrate the ability to obtain such registration within one year of employment.
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE)
- Experience working with local clients at the city, county and state level
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Client Focus
- Job Proficiency
- Familiarity with New York State Department of Transportation project development & deliverables
- Familiarity with New York State Department of Transportation CADD Software & Standards
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.