The purpose of this position is to provide Quality Assurance support to the organization through guidance, oversight, and executing quality assurance activities to ensure that CNL's quality program requirements are met. This position is essential to ensure CNL product and services are delivered in compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, and through the provision of quality services to internal and external customers are also value-added. The Quality Specialist also provides QA support to the functional support areas including supply chain and projects through effective oversight, engagement to support execution and by carrying out assessment activities during all phases of procurement and work. This position is applicable to all CNL sub-units.
- General, Divisional, and Supplier Quality Team project works;
- Supports the organization by providing guidance, oversight, and assurance that quality program requirements are met;
- Effectively interacts with all management levels, suppliers, contractors, regulatory authorities, certification/accreditation bodies, monitoring authorities and other CNL personnel with respect to the quality function;
- Performs/assists with the planning and implementation of quality-related activities including: quality verifications, internal/external quality audits, supplier and program-related quality surveillances, self-assessments and quality program review activities;
- Provides support for quality training/awareness sessions and mentorship on quality processes;
- Assists with the preparation and maintenance of quality documentation that supports the CNL functional areas and specific projects and procurements (ie. Quality plans, procedures, assessments, reports, communications, etc);
- Reviews and evaluates quality documentation of external suppliers to assess suitability;
- Assesses implementation and effectiveness of quality assurance programs by contractors in the field to meet project needs;
- Advises on quality assurance codes and standards and other quality requirements as applied across all CNL missions;
- Identifies conditions adverse to quality and reports them to the appropriate level of management;
- Monitors compliance to documented requirements, preparation and retention, completion assurance, final distribution and storage of quality assurance records;
- Completes pre-qualifications, bid-evaluations and follow-up assessments of supplier proposals against quality requirements;
- Facilitates the completion of supplier corrective actions and nonconformities as a result of assessment activities;
- Supports quality assurance and improvement initiatives, including performance of cause assessments;
At a minimum, a Bachelors (Honours) in Engineering or Science from a university of recognized standing; or membership in an engineering or scientific organization authorized by statute to establish qualification for membership in that organization.
In addition for this Quality Specialist position:
CSE 2: A few years related engineering technical work experience,
CSE 3 - Significant related engineering technical work experience.
CSE 4 - Significant related engineering technical work experience in a field of specialization.
Engineering technical work experience and fields of specialization areas includeâ€? Mechanical, Civil, Industrial, Chemical, Construction, Manufacturing/Fabrication.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to review, interpret and translate quality and technical specifications, drawing requirements, quality plans, inspection and test activities, to item, material, product and service deliverables received by the supplier and performed for CNL.
- Ability to apply knowledge and experience from technical expertise and employ it into quality assessment activities and communicate the interconnections of product and service quality performance to compliance and customer satisfaction outcomes.
- Ability to use and apply Quality Tools in technical and assessment work.
Codes and Standards
- Knowledge and experience in the application of codes and standards such as:
- ISO 9001 (Quality Management Systems - Requirements)
- ISO 19011-12 (Guidelines for Auditing Management Systems)
- ISO 14001 (Environmental Management Systems)
- CSA N286 (Management System Requirements for Nuclear Power Plants)
- ASME NQA-1 (Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications)
- CSA N285 (General Requirements for Pressure-Retaining System and Components in CANDU Nuclear Power Plants)
- ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code
- CSA B51 (Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Pressure Piping Code)
- CSA N286.7 (Quality Assurance of Analytical, Scientific, and Design Computer Programs for Nuclear Power Plants)
- ISO/IEC 17025 (Testing and Calibration Laboratories)
- Codes and standards relevant to Technical Work experience
- Working knowledge of CNL's management system and functional support processes;
- Knowledge of CNL's organizational structure, licensed facilities and operations are required;
- Knowledge of quality assurance as applied to CNL's programs, such as security, environmental protection and radiation protection;
- An understanding of the Canadian nuclear regulatory framework;
- Proficiency in the use of enterprise software applications (i.e.MS Office Suite, Oracle and CNL's information management system);
- Auditing and/or assessment experience;
- Effective interpersonal and organization skills, with the ability to communicate and collaborate with internal/external stakeholders;
- Capable of working both independently and in a team environment;
- Sound judgement, initiative, strong drive, positive attitude and consistent, careful attention to detail are essential in this position to ensure accurate and compliant work;
- Ability to prioritize and make decisions in a dynamic work environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality work; and
- Depending on the location of work, travel will be required periodically.
- The Quality Specialist must have initiative, a tactful and diplomatic manner, sound judgement and organizational abilities, excellent oral and written communication skills and be capable of working with minimum supervision
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
As Canada’s premier nuclear science and technology (S&T) organization Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) serves the nation as an enabler of business innovation and technology transfer. And, we foster the development of highly-qualified people for the knowledge economy to come.