Assist in managing the daily operation of a transportation bus garage, ensuring the successful implementation of strategies that produce cost effective and high-quality service. Responsible for leading bus operators to fulfill agency expectations to ensure optimum service delivery, customer service, safety and security. Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Maintain Bus Operator competency. Supplement initial operator training through regular reinforcement of expectations, supplying regular refresher courses, additional training and/or re-instruction as needed. Actively support safety and security practices through rigorous curriculum and regular reinforcement of safety standards by ensuring employees are held to departmental safety and security standards.
2. Assist with incident response, trouble shooting and reporting system deficiencies to resolution.
3. Responsible for the recruitment and managing the performance of one or more of the following: Fare Inspectors, Field Operations Supervisors, Bus Dispatchers and Rail Controllers, Rail Operators, and/or Bus Operators.
4. Responsible for the effective management of employee and labor relations issues for one or more of the following: Fare Inspectors, Field Operations Supervisors, Bus Dispatchers and Rail Controllers, Rail Operators, and/or Bus Operators, including investigation, documentation and administering disciplinary action as required.
5. Develop a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and in full partnership with members and officers of the ATU. Ensure consistent application of policies, procedures and labor agreement throughout the workforce. Develop and maintain a productive, principle-based, and creative problem-solving approach to employee and labor relations' issues.
6. Establish, evaluate and ensure sustained excellence in operational performance through clearly defined objectives and measurements, regular monitoring of performance indicators, and continuous involvement of transportation workforce.
7. Support the development and implementation of annual goals and budget that support and align with the TriMet business plan. Help establish clear goals, targets, strategic actions and scorecards. Monitor budget expenditures, measure performance goals and recognize achievements.
8. Contribute to workforce planning for staff (staffing, scheduling and forecasting).
9. Investigator in charge of basic bus and rail incidents.
10. Evaluate individual and departmental performance. Provide individual coaching, mentoring and counseling as required to enhance performance. Monitor progress toward achieving individual and collective performance goals, provide feedback and recognize achievement.
11. Provide leadership in emergency situations. Responsible for coordinating service adjustments and to act as first responders in the field or to the base facility in the event of accidents or service emergencies, service disruptions, inclement weather, natural disasters and special events.
12. Provide direct supervision and leadership, including competency management, to employees and develop positive rapport with personnel and the public to assure optimal transportation employee performance and safe, courteous and reliable service.
13. Actively promote and support diversity in the workplace through staffing, promotions, training, and career development. Model respect for diversity in the workplace.
14. Provide direction and set standards for excellence in internal and external customer service. Promote professional and courteous behavior with a creative approach to problem resolution that creates a positive experience for the customer.
15. Assist in the documentation, development and implementation of policies, standard operating procedures, communication protocols, business processes, and training programs. Recommend changes as appropriate.
16. Responsible for performing and supporting CMS assessments including scheduling supervisors and training staff on CMS Manage and oversee assigned shift activities to ensure and optimized delivery of safe, secure, reliable, and cost cost-effective delivery
17. Assist in the management of resources including non-revenue vehicles, technical systems, equipment and tools to support effective deployment and service delivery performance. Monitor payroll and budget expenditures, including authorization for overtime.
18. Model and hold staff accountable to be sensitive to the special needs of customers, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable populations.
19. The position may be required to work in any of the following functions: Bus and Rail Operations (OCC), Bus and Rail Operations (Field Operations), Bus Operations (Transportation), Rail Operations (Transportation) depending on business needs and/or career growth and development.
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Transportation/Logistics, Transportation/Urban Planning or a related discipline.
A minimum of eight (8) years total credited experience. Experience in a transportation, transit, or service related industry which must include three years in a supervisory role in one of the following area: Control Center, Field Operations, and/or Transportation.
Intermediate skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, database applications and other software applications.
Must possess valid Class C drivers' license and be able to obtain a Class B Commercial Drivers License, with passenger endorsement and without airbrake restriction.
Selection Process– Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of: 1. Application Review/ Please Include: Cover Letter and Resume 2. Supplemental Exercise 3. Panel Interview 4. Reference Check 5. Background Check
Supplemental Information: Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: 18-00208
TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail service in the Portland, Oregon, region. Our transportation options connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution — making our region a better place to live.