DescriptionProtecting Washington State's environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We have a culture that is invested in making a difference. If you want to join a team that is highly effective, collaborative and has leadership that embraces the value of people, Ecology is a good fit.
The Solid Waste Management (SWM) program is looking to fill a Solid Waste Engineer (Environmental Engineer 5) position. This position will be located in our Northwest Regional Office (NWRO) in Bellevue, WA.
The Solid Waste Engineer position manages and/or oversees the investigation and cleanup of contaminated landfill sites for compliance with MTCA and other relevant laws and regulations. This position also provides guidance and assistance to NWRO Toxics Cleanup Program (TCP) and TCP HQ staff with landfill cleanup actions under their jurisdiction. This position is the program authority and provides technical assistance statewide to SWM section facility leads on financial assurance. This position represents SWM on the agency's statewide Technical Resources for Engineering Efficiency (TREE) team.
We are looking for applicants who:
- Possess excellent project management and people skills
- Are able to analyze complex technical and regulatory problems and develop workable solutions consistent with rules and agency policy constraints
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Possess experience in reviewing solid waste facility technical documents.
- Work well with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Pay attention to detail – produces quality work.
- Have a strong work ethic and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Use good judgment.
- Multi-tasks and effectively prioritizes work.
- Learn and stay consistent with other program's (TCP primarily) procedures and policies.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability. Maybe you've seen some of our recent stories on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov.
The mission of the Department of Ecology is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's land, air, and water for current and future generations.
The mission of the Solid Waste Management (SWM) program is to reduce the amount and the effects of wastes generated in Washington State.
Some of the key work activities of the Solid Waste Engineer position include:Serves as site lead, and provides engineering support to other site leads at solid waste landfills performing remedial actions.
- Manages and/or oversees the investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites for compliance with MTCA and other relevant laws and regulations at contaminated sites.
- Applies environmental and construction management engineering processes expertise to the evaluation of cleanup plans, data, and results.
- Performs technical consultations and reviews.
- Provides quality assurance reviews of engineering and technical documents.
- Consults on complex facility management projects.
- Serves as the section's representative on technical work groups.
- Consults with and advise section manager on issues related to MTCA.
- Makes evaluations of completeness of cleanup activities for compliance with MTCA.
- Ensures solid waste landfills required to perform remedial actions conform to the administrative, reporting, monitoring, cleanup standards, and other provisions of the Model Toxics Control Act.
- Conducts evaluations of cleanup activities reported under the MTCA regulations. Site evaluations will be conducted by field inspections, verification sampling, reviewing and interpreting environmental data and reports, and report writing. Responsible for evaluating and enforcing compliance with MTCA and other relevant regulations.
- Represents the agency in negotiations to achieve compliance. Testify as an expert witness in legal proceedings before the Pollution Control Hearings Board and courts of the State when necessary.
- Conducts both scheduled and unscheduled inspections of permitted facilities. Conducts interim and final inspections of assigned projects.
- Writes inspection reports to document findings of inspections.
Plans and performs environmental inspections and site visits to provide technical assistance and enforcement advice to local governments on compliance with solid waste regulations.
- Reviews engineering designs for design elements at solid waste facilities. Prepares inspection reports when necessary.
- Reviews engineering plans and specifications for waste handling, incineration, disposal, recycling, resource recovery systems, and remedial actions.
- Conducts construction inspections and assists other jurisdictions in conducting inspections.
- Works closely with solid waste facility and permitting authority staff during all phases of major project construction.
- Reviews, comments and prepares recommendations for approval or denial of solid waste permit applications and variance requests regarding design elements of solid waste facilities.
- Recommends enforcement actions.
- Reviews and comments on technical engineering interpretation memoranda and guidance documents pertaining to the implementation and enforcement of solid waste statutes and regulations.
Serves as an engineering advisor for Ecology and provides technical review and assistance for innovative and emerging waste to resource technologies, through the statewide TREE team.
Has the lead role responsibility in the implementation of financial assurance.
- Advises and assists program staff statewide and local government officials regarding financial assurance.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be October 24, 2018. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before October 23, 2018. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.